08 June 2011

Did NBC 4 fairly represent Trinidad?

Editoral note: The following is a guest post from Robert Mann-Thompson, a friend and fellow Trinidad resident.




On June 1, 2011 Washington, DC's Channel 4 (WRC-TV, NBC) aired a report titled "Trinidad: Real Estate Hot Spot?" The report was a "positive" story on Trinidad real estate and gentrification. Unfortunately, I believe the coverage was inaccurate based on its racial depiction of both new- and long-time Trinidad residents.

I am concerned that the young people and "young professionals" in the story are all white, while the African-American people were older. To an outsider, it could appear as if the changing faces of Trinidad are only educated, professional, young white people.

Since television images are powerful, the absence of any non-white "professionals" (an admittedly undefined term) is disturbing. There are many professional people here in Trinidad that are both young and young at heart who hail from a variety ethnic heritages.

It is concerning that the black people were uniformly older compared to the relative youth of the white people. Was this juxtaposition there to present an idea that "Black" represents the past while "White" is the future? I sure hope not, and I hope this was just sloppy journalism, but that's how the story aired, and I felt a response is necessary to ensure this doesn't pass without being noted.

I feel that Channel 4 is usually a fair news outlet, but this time they presented a story that could do damage. We don't need stories like this widening the racial and class divide in the neighborhood. Living here is not about race/ethnic heritage, professional/blue collar, young/young at heart, straight/LGBTIQ, or any other attributes that can be applied in a divisive way.

I would encourage you to contact WRC-TV to express any comments or concerns regarding this story.

WRC-TV NBC Washington
4001 Nebraska Ave. NW
Washington 20016

Telephone: (202) 885-4YOU
Telefax: (202) 885-4104
Email: nbc4dc@nbc.com

6 comments:

  1. I didn't notice ANY white professionals in this piece. Perhaps NBC4 is too loose with their definition of "professional". Perhaps the writer is too sensitive to the issue and finding fault where there isn't any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think way too much credit has been given to that NBC4 news article. Last I checked Trinidad doesn't have a HomeOwners association denying applications at the front door based on race, education and/or blue vs white collar. :|

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this as a 6 year Trinada resident and a young professional American of Afrian decent, that news story did not reflect me or my nieghbors. I watched it when it broke and was heated and have been disputing the report since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this as a 6 year Trindad resident and a young professional American of Afrian decent, that news story did not reflect me or my nieghbors. I watched it when it broke and was heated and have been disputing the report since

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this as a 6 year Trinidad resident and a young professional American of African descent, that news story did not reflect me or my neighbors. I watched it when it broke and was heated and have been disputing the report since

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cringed involuntarily when those white kids started talking about the neighborhood.

    They didn't even say anything that bad, but don't they feel nervous about speaking to the nature of a place they barely know? I'm a young interloper myself who's lived here for five years. I'm grateful for a place to live that I could afford, that feels manageably safe, and where 95% of the interactions I have with people on the street are positive. I'm a tiny part of a community where everyone else's got their own concerns, and I would just feel embarrassed to talk more to the nature of the neighborhood than that.

    ReplyDelete

You can be curmudgeonly too, but let's try to be civil and constructive here, ok?